Monday, April 21, 2014

CELEBRATING 5 INFERNO METAL FESTIVAL'S




Anyone who's known me more then 5 minutes will know i am 'slightly' obsessed with Inferno Metal Festival.
To keep it short, i discovered the festival when i was about 16 [i decided then i would go when i turned 18, as it has an 18 age limit] and it really was the only thing keeping me going through those years, everytime i wanted to kill myself i'd just say 'but you havn't gone to Inferno yet! wait until you've at least gone there.' it gave me something to cling to when i was too mentally fragile to help myself.
Helvete Basement 2014
And Inferno 2009 finally came around & it was brilliant, it was my first time abroad alone, my first metal festival. my first time in Norway. It was such a great experience, i saw so many amazing bands i would never had a chance to see in Australia, i met some amazing people & got to visit some landmark sights in regard to Black Metal history [such as the Helvete Basement & Holmenkollen Chapel] I discovered another world, a world i felt i belonged too! it was home..

Inferno 2010


I came back to Australia, and told my mother 'next year i am going back to Inferno, & then i am moving to England! [Dual-Citizenship has its advantages! hehe]
So I went again to Inferno in 2010, and again it was brilliant & i met more amazing people, and also a notable experience, i got to see Wardruna play at Vikingskipshuset. (Viking Ship Museum), which was completely incredible!And then i did as i said, i moved to England, I wanted to start my life over, maybe then i'd enjoy being alive...

In late 2010 i moved from living with my gran in Bristol to moving on my own to London, so sadly Inferno 2011 was unattainable to me [I did how ever manage to go to Hole In The Sky - The Last Supper in Bergen, so i got my yearly Norwegian metal fix - & found the city i hope to one day live].
Bergen 2011

I was back again at Inferno 2012, meeting up with now old friends & of course making new ones! This was also the first Inferno which i drank at [& got FUCKING WASTED!] which resulted in missing a lot of bands i really wanted to see, and some very bloody & sore knees. lesson learnt, i dont need booze at Inferno its fun enough as it is!

For Inferno 2013 my mind was sadly not in the best place thanks to personal issues back in London, but friends & some amazing bands helped me keep my spirits up! was also the first year i decided to got to a different venue for the club night, so i got to see more of Oslo & what it had to offer in different venues!



Dimmu Borgir 2014

AND THIS YEAR! Inferno 2014, my 5th one! & also the first one which i stayed at the official hotel for & also decided to take an interest in the IMC [wish i had earlier]. Most of the bands this year were sweet & met some really awesome people, but it was actually the events out side the gigs that made this year!!
I went on a Fjord Cruise in which Church of Misery played!
Wardruna at Vikingskipshuset 2010




I  saw Einar Selvik demonstrate a selection of the oldest Nordic instruments & play some fully acoustic Wardruna music & speak about his interest in Norse Mythology/history, his relationship with Runes & the part it plays in the creative & recording process.
Wardruna are one of my favourite bands [since first discovering them at Inferno 2010] Their music is so powerful, it stirs within you images & emotions nothing else can bring out! and seeing Einar Selvik perform so casually & intimately was beyond words, i am not ashamed to say i teared up when he begun to play...
And if that wasnt enough i also went to hear Neckrobutcher speak about 30years of Mayhem, which was a lovely mix of serious & hilarious!
Also went back to the Helvete basement, which i am now very glad to see is Noseblod records! 

Best bands of INFERNO
- 2009 -  Carpathian Forest, Kampfar, Koldbrann, Swallow The Sun, Samael, Vreid, Helheim.
- 2010 - Kovenant, Taake, Finntroll, Ihsahn, Wardruna.
- 2012 - 1349, Arcturus, Autopsy, Anaal Nathrakh, Borknagar.
- 2013 - Hate, Satyricon, Solefald, In Vain, Behexem, Cor Scorpii, Vulture Industries, Carach Angren.
- 2014 - Dimmu Borgir, MGLA, Necros Christos, Mystifier, Posthum, Rotting Christ, Church of Misery, Oranssi Pazuzu.


And now to wait for next year! it will be Inferno's 15th Anniversary so you know it's going to be amazing! & i'll be there headbanging along \m/
Inferno 2014


.And a quick mention & thanks to Inferno that i discovered bands that  are now in my top lists, such as; Kampfar, Taake, Wardruna, Vreid, Finntroll, Swallow the Sun & Mistur, Hate to name a few.

You can see more of my photos from Inferno HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment